Science Fiction has provided us with some whimsical ideas that are now becoming a reality. One of the neatest has got to be invisibility. While it may not be in the manner that our predecessors had imagined, we have achieved the ability to mask humans and objects. It goes without saying that the military is implementing some form of invisibility. Will this technology ever be available to the general public? Is it too dangerous?
With the proposal of the ‘Buffett Rule’ by President Obama to decrease the income inequality between the richest 1% of Americans and the other 99%, here is a list of 10 intriguing facts you probably didn’t know about one of the world’s richest men.
10. Buffett got rejected from Harvard Business School.
9. He has donated over $31 billion to charity!
8. Buffett loves indulging in junk food, including cheetos, licorice, and cherry coke.
Although many schools and businesses are going digital with their operations, final copies are still printed out onto traditional sheets of paper. The process of paper recycling is far more difficult and consumes much more energy than many people imagine.
The paper first has to be sorted. It is then rid of it’s contaminants and compacted. The paper is then shredded and mixed with water to make a pulp. The pulp is washed again and refined, before being beaten into a slush. It’s then shaped and left to dry before then be converted into printer paper, newspaper and cardboard.
There was an incredible amount of hype surrounding the Segway, being described as a green form of transportation that would revolutionize personal transportation. While both fun and impressive, it was too expensive for the average American and never really lived up to the hype.
Within the field of personal transportation, there are a couple of new devices coming out which are smaller, more efficient, and more affordable than any of there predecessors. Here’s a couple examples of gadgets you could soon be riding around town.
There are millions of people on Earth who litter and think nothing of it. Biodegradable items such as banana peels are kosher, as they usually disappear in under a month. One of the peskier items to be littered is plastic. Plastic has plagued scientists, due to it’s lingering nature and it’s inability to be properly disposed of. It is feared that it can take anywhere from 500-1,000 years for plastic to decompose in landfills.
Countless consumer items are based out of plastic, many we don’t even realize are a plastic. In this disposable day and age where items quickly lose their value and we toss them we buy more, the question of where all of the mounds of trash worldwide will go has been a plaguing concern. We may be on the right path to solving this issue. A group of students and professors from Yale made an astounding discovery this month; uncovering a fungi that eats pesky plastics to survive.
What do you do when you can’t afford a yacht, but enjoy hot tubs and floating around in a large body of water? Well up until this year, there wasn’t much. But now, you can buy a hot tub boat.
How is it powered? A small electric motor.
How do you steer? Remote steering for control from inside the tub or on the mini-deck.
If you haven’t yet heard of Joseph Kony, you are not alone. Here is a brief overview of one of the most revered men in the world.
Jospeh Kony is a 47 year old Ugandan war criminal. He is the leader of the guerilla group the LRA or the Lord’s Resistance Army. Kony is the world’s number one most wanted fugitive according to Forbes, ahead of Ayman al-Zawahiri, the new leader of Al-Queda.
One of the most exciting pieces of technology soon to be unleashed on the world has got the be the powered exoskeleton suit. An exoskeleton is “a hard outer structure, such as the shell of an insect or crustacean, that provides protection or support for an organism.” Human’s are naturally equipped with an endoskeleton, but imagine the possibilities if we could have both?
Here’s 10 prime pieces of trivia for your reading pleasure. Can’t make this stuff up.
10. An Ostrich’s eye is bigger than it’s brain.
9. Most lipsticks contain fish scales to create their shimmery effect.
8. 85% of the plant life on Earth is found in the ocean.
7. Human skin is an organ: it can breathe and absorb.
6. The name of every continent ends and begins with the same letter.
5. Tennessee is bordered by 8 states.
4. An apple is more effective at waking you up than coffee.
3. The oldest word in the English language is town.
2. The fortune cookie was invented in San Francisco.
1. There’s only one mammal in the world that can’t jump: the elephant.