Mitt Romney hopes to become the 45th President of the United States of America, and is locked in a heated battle with incumbent President Barack Obama. Despite being a prominent national figure, much of who Mitt Romney is remains a mystery. For your reading pleasure, here’s 10 astounding, unknown facts about Mr. Romney.
10. Mitt’s full name is Willard Mitt Romney. Romney was named after his father’s best friend, hotel magnate J. Willard Marriott. He was also named after his father’s cousin, Milton “Mitt” Romney, who you may remember, played quarterback for the Chicago Bears from 1925-1929.
9. Romney’s great grandfather Miles Romney was a practicing polygamist. When the LDS Church came under attack from the U.S. government in 1885, Miles Romney and his family left the U.S. for Mexico, and to this day a large number of Romneys still reside there.
8. In 2010, Mitt Romney got into a physical and verbal altercation with LMFAO rapper Sky Blu while on a flight from the Winter Olympics in Vancouver to Los Angeles.
7. In 1965, when he was 18, Romney was arrested for sliding down the slopes of a golf course on large blocks of ice.
6. Romney’s net worth is estimated to be $250 million, which would make him the wealthiest president ever elected.
4. Romney does not smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or do drugs.
3. Mitt Romney is a self-made man, as he donated his father’s inheritance to charity. He also received no salary in a number of postions he’s held, including as stake president of his church for ten years, as president of the Salt Lake City Olympics, and he only took a salary of $1 while serving as the governor of Massachusetts.
2. In 1968, at age 21, Mitt Romney was nearly killed. In fact, his parents were told he had been killed. While serving as a missionary in France, Romney was involved in a fatal collision when a Mercedes driven by an intoxicated Catholic priest swerved into his lane and hit him head on. One of his passengers was killed and Romney ended up pinned so badly, rescue crews had to pry him from the wreckage. He suffered broken ribs, a fractured arm, a concussion and facial injuries.
1. When the 14-year-old daughter of Romney’s partner at Bain Capital disappeared in 1996 in New York City, Romney astonishingly closed the entire office. He transported 30 of his employees to the city, set up a command center, hired detectives, printed 300,000 fliers, and searched for her. The girl was eventually found and the police credited the Bain team for finding her.
Trackback from your site.